Assignment period:11/01/2020 - 08/31/2023
Type of employment:full- or part-time
The purpose of the global programme BACKUP Health is to support government and civil society partners to leverage funding from global health financing mechanisms for the strengthening of their health systems. The focus is on supporting programmes financed by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. To achieve its goal, the programme collaborates with partners in focus countries on four main areas: (1) Strengthening national coordination of globally funded programmes and their alignment with national strategies, (2) strengthening capacities and functions of health institutions in the partner countries, (3) improving the management of health services at the decentralised level with regard to the integration of globally financed programmes and (4) reducing risks to disease programmes and health services resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, and increasing resilience to epidemic outbreaks and other shocks.
- Supporting BACKUP country teams in planning and programming of support for the focus countries, the selection of implementation partners and planning of interventions in line with BACKUP’s overall strategy and the needs of country partners
- In cooperation with BACKUP country teams and partners, operationalising interventions using various delivery modalities including consulting tenders, individual consultancy contracts and financial support
- Providing technical backstopping to country teams, consultants and partners for the implementation of interventions, and assuring technical quality as well as the application of GIZ rules and regulations
- In cooperation with country teams and BACKUP administrative and finance staff, ensuring timely and effective technical and financial monitoring and reporting for the interventions
- Supporting the coordination of BACKUP support with Global Fund technical and country teams and with other bi-/multilateral partners
- Supporting the contribution to BACKUP technical concepts and guidance as well as to internal and external communication/publications of BACKUP and to various virtual and in-person platforms and events for learning and knowledge exchange
- Master-level degree in health, social sciences or an other relevant area
- First professional experience in international cooperation, ideally including in-country experience
- Understanding of the current global health architecture and first work experience in one or more of BACKUP’s technical areas
- Understanding of structures, policies and processes of the Global Fund or familiarity with priorities and approaches of the United Kingdom Department for International Development and the German Development Cooperation
- Strong analytical, management and problem-solving skills
- Ability and wish to cooperate in a diverse team and to proactively interact with various internal and external stakeholders
- Fluency in English and either French or Portuguese
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.