The Regional Infrastructure Operations Manager is responsible for one or more Amazon Datacenter Clusters and PoP-scale deployments within a particular region. It is the senior Infrastructure Operations role within the region and has managerial responsibility for safety, security, availability, scaling, efficiency and cost. The Regional Infrastructure Operations organizations are composed of three functions: compute operations, engineering operations and logistics. A physical security organisation, while not reporting directly to the Regional Infrastructure Operations Leader, is an integral part of the operation. Compute operations focuses on the server-level platforms that support both Amazon Retail and Amazon Web Services. Engineering Operations focuses on the mechanical, electrical and controls systems that support our data center critical environments. Logistics Operations executes materials planning and control to support both on-going operations and expansions. Security Operations are charged with the physical security of our people, assets, and customer data. The Regional Infrastructure Operations Leader must be able to build and lead high performing teams across each of these functions, understand and manage their day to day operations while at the same time having the technical capability and curiosity to dive deep into any given challenges as needed.
The Regional Infrastructure Operations Manager is a key role in the management team that is operating and scaling the world’s largest cloud computing infrastructure. We encounter interesting, challenging and complex problems every day. As a technical manager in Amazon you can innovate to solve these issues and help drive operations excellence in all areas of your role. You will have the ability to refine and develop processes to optimize operational excellence in every aspect of your role. You must also have a passion for technology along with a desire to achieve best-in-the-world operational performance.
· Hiring, managing and developing the operations team including compute operations managers, engineering operations managers, logistics operations managers and their teams
· Attainment of organizational performance goals and objectives relating to safety, security, availability, scaling, efficiency and cost
· Planning and executing the Infrastructure Operations component of new datacentre and Colocation (Colo) expansions
· Operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and controls systems for Amazon datacentres to include preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance and change management
· Vendor management of Colo datacenter services providers to meet or exceed contracted performance SLA’s
· Safety, security, and availability incident response, incident management and incident resolution
· Continuous improvement of operational processes, procedures, methods and tools
· Bachelor's or Masters degree in engineering, computer science or a related field, or relevant industry experience
· 10+ years of relevant management experience in datacentre operations, facility engineering operations, information technology critical environment facilities, advanced high volume manufacturing or similar.
· Demonstrated track record in delivering complex projects
· Proven ability to hire, develop and manage high-performing technical teams
· Prior ownership of the operation of a mission-critical team and/or product
· Ability to operate independently as a manager of a geographically distributed management team
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Excellent analytical, quantitative, and presentation skills
· Expertise in one or more continuous improvement methodologies such as Lean or Six Sigma
· Substantial knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and controls systems in a critical or controlled environment.
· Broad knowledge of information technology infrastructure domains such as compute server platforms, storage server platforms, server components, network devices, technologies and architectures, IT service delivery principles and best practices.