Are you passionate about books and book covers? Amazon Publishing is looking for a creative, talented, and customer-obsessed Senior Art Director to join our team in Munich or London and help us build great experiences for authors, readers, and internal teams.
Who We Are
Amazon Publishing is the full-service publishing arm of Amazon. We publish emerging, bestselling and critically-acclaimed authors in digital, print, and audio formats. Our mission is to invent new avenues for connecting authors and readers worldwide.
Who You Are
We are seeking a highly creative, innovative, and conceptual team member who has a proven record of creating and managing world-class book covers and interiors. The Senior Art Director will direct designs that are high-concept, commercial, and iconic and ensure that the designs can translate into multiple formats and across different marketplaces. They will have a deep understanding of the marketplaces and the ability to partner with external book designers and illustrators to develop covers that demonstrate versatile and conceptual usage of photography and illustration, advanced techniques with typography and fonts, and a flexible and explorative design sensibility. They will understand the complexity of physical and online marketing, drive visual standards for different genres in global markets, and conduct data-driven design analysis. They will have strong communication skills and be able to work effectively with internal stakeholders to navigate the multifaceted publisher requirements for a successful cover asset.
· Create and evolve imprint-level design strategies. Develop and strengthen imprint branding, including style and usage guides.
· Introduce creative process or procedures to simplify creative workflows where possible.
· Work collaboratively with internal teams such as the design, editorial, production and marketing teams.
· Present cover designs and creative to partner teams for stakeholder sign-off.
· Research and remain aware of trends in book design – boost team and stakeholder knowledge of current visual trends and drive towards innovative and forward-thinking inclusive design.
· Understand and respond to marketing and merchandising performance data.
· Work in deadline driven environment with production to adhere to cover and interior design schedule.
· Commission and manage the creation and delivery of cover and interior artwork.
· An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating 5+ years of art direction.
· Bachelor's degree in design or equivalent education through trade or design school.
· Proficiency in a variety of design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and InDesign.
· Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate effectively with senior management and an intense customer focus.
· Ability to juggle multiple priorities and make things happen in a fast-paced environment. Strong bias for action.
· A solid understanding of the trends in visual design.
· A solid understanding of the print process and typography.
· Experience defining and maintaining a design style guide.
· Experience working in digital publishing – demonstrating a working knowledge of file formats and image compression.
· Experience setting up photo shoots and working with illustrators
· Experience in book cover localization.
· A passion for design and love of books!
Are you interested? We look forward to receiving your application. Please submit your online application including your CV and covering letter in English.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation or any other assistance, please let the recruiting team know and they will support you with the necessary actions throughout the interview process.
Did you know that Amazon is offering various jobs in part-time? If you want to apply, please filter for “part-time” in the job type search section on amazon.jobs.