1. As a Data Center Senior Construction Manager you will be a part of creative, efficient team tasked with tackling fascinating and challenging problems building and supporting the operations of Amazon owned data centers. Amazon Construction Managers are part of a fast-paced team delivering data centers for our Customers.
Our data centers are industry leading examples of energy efficient, cost effective designs. The Data Center Senior Construction Manager is ultimately responsible for the oversight and review of all disciplines including civil, structural, architectural electrical, mechanical, controls and commissioning . The Construction Manager will administer all construction contracts ensuring full compliance including all commercial elements.
At Amazon we leverage unique opportunities presented to us by owning everything from the substation, to the server, and back to the cooling systems. We are diverse, upbeat, creative, team of engineers and managers working on a daily basis to develop innovative data centers for our Customers.
The Data Center Senior Construction Manager will be responsible for:
· Construction project management and oversight of construction related activities as they relate to new builds or general capital projects. This will include the ownership of the project scope, timeline, and budget.
· Direct interface with construction general contractors during the bidding, award, execution, and project closeout/punch list phases.
· Work with general contractors and vendors to deliver efficient and high quality project turn-overs.
· Lead negotiations with general contractors and evaluate bids/proposals with detail and accuracy.
· Creation of construction project scope and request for proposals.
· Capital requests/financial analysis of construction work including change orders, purchase orders, and invoicing.
· Construction project management for specific initiatives aimed at increasing the resiliency of our data centers.
· Constructability reviews of electrical and mechanical designs associated with the construction of new data centers or the optimization of existing data centers.
· Construction submittal review.
· Construction project quality control including the creation of a commissioning plan and support of the commissioning process.
· Recording and reporting key construction metrics to team members and management.
· Drive teams to perform troubleshooting and root-cause failure analysis associated with equipment or electrical failures.
· Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support the data center.
· Travel to data center sites for engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, mechanical system reviews, start-up testing, and full commissioning, upto 30% of time.
· 40% International Travel required.
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction Management or an equivalent engineering science OR 4+ years of related construction management experience in lieu of a degree.
· 7+ years of recent experience in construction management of large, complex projects involving large-scale mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) plants.
· Understand electrical engineering principles including breaker coordination studies, switch-gear sequence of operations, local electrical codes.
· Understand mechanical engineering principles for cooling systems.
· General contractor and vendor management experience (request for proposals, bidding, change orders) associated with construction and project execution.
· Experience directly related to the design or construction of data centers/critical infrastructure or large scale mechanical and electrical plants.
· Experience with large scale technical operations, mission-critical mechanical/electrical infrastructure, or large-scale compute farms.
· Define data center system-level architecture, specify/document performance and equipment requirements, create/communicate conceptual designs, and create/maintain project documentation.
· Knowledge of German building codes and regulations.
· Value engineering: Proven ability to reduce costs through creative solutions with no impact on quality and reliability (new designs, technology, or construction methods).
· Experience in controls and commissioning of large scale projects.
· Experience with power management and power monitoring systems.
· Certifications such as Professional Engineer (PE), LEED, and/or Certified Construction Manager (CCM).
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.