Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. Through the use of pioneering techniques in storage & computing, customers can reliably store their data on Amazon’s proven computing infrastructure to achieve virtually limitless storage capacity at minimal cost. Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that enables customers to store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere in the world. We build and run the largest commercial storage system in the world with trillions of objects and regularly serving millions of requests per second.
We’re looking for a new Senior Software Development Engineer to join the team in Berlin, Germany to help us build a next generation product. The ideal candidate is excited about the incredible opportunity that cloud computing represents, and is passionate about delivering quality services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities can shift fast. You’ll make our customers’ lives better through the features and service improvements that you own and deliver, and will work with other leaders in the team to guide both the success of the Berlin office and S3 as a whole. As part of our team, you’ll be able to bring innovation and execute on new ideas that will raise the bar on what our customers can achieve with S3.
If this sounds like you, come join us and help AWS continue to write the cloud computing story for the industry.
Work-life Balance - Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so we’re all able to maintain standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
On-Call Responsibility - S3 services are highly available, but there are times when we occasionally stray away from our normal operations. To minimize the impact of such excursions, we have on-call rotations. However, we set these up so there are focused time periods when you are on-call and when you are not, so you can focus on your day job when not on-call.
Mentorship & Career Growth - We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level, etc. We can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Inclusive Team Culture - We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon’s 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Amazon Women and Engineering, and LGBTQ+
Ownership is central to everything we deliver at Amazon. You will own the entire lifecycle of your work from design to implementation, testing, and operations. We strive to build a collaborative work environment that lets you both broaden your impact and grow with the support of mentors and senior engineers on the team.
Creating a reliable, scalable, and flexible web service requires a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about building great software but about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality. Join us and help solve a challenging set of problems in a space packed full of opportunities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Writing quality, reusable code for highly scalable, available and reliable cloud-based services
- Defining and executing on a roadmap for your service. You’ll know and talk with your customers on a regular basis, as well as using data and metrics to understand how your service is used, and build and deliver on a roadmap that delights them.
- Being a champion for operational excellence by Insisting on the Highest Standards
- Designing, building and operating large scalable multi-tiered distributed systems
- Participating in a modest on-call rotation once every 2-3 months.
- Having fun working on ground breaking technology with people just as passionate about their work as you!
We at AWS value individual expression, respect different opinions, and work together to create a culture where each of us is able to contribute fully. Our unique backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our ability to achieve Amazon's mission of being Earth's most customer-centric company.
The Berlin S3 team is fun, ambitious, growing, and a great place to be able to have impact. If you’re a passionate software engineering leader excited about solving difficult problems at the challenging scale of AWS, we’d love to hear from you.
You will be working on a major strategic product for S3 and will develop new features with a brand new team in Berlin, Germany. You get a unique opportunity to work on new storage products, while building a new team and shape its culture and operations. This is an opportunity to work on the latest industry trend at S3 scale and shape the way how customers use S3 for their applications.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) experience.
- Experience with massively-scaled distributed computing.
- Advanced software engineering skills, including the ability to write expert-level, maintainable, and robust code in Rust, Java, or other core object-oriented languages.
- Experience taking product requirements and developing software architectures and designs to bring them to life
- Proficiency in computer science fundamentals – data structures, algorithms and OO design
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively on shared projects with designers, artists, testers, and other developers
- Working experience with multi-threaded and distributed systems
- Experience hiring and mentoring engineers
- Demonstrated strong technical judgment with a customer focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Experience with software development in a Linux environment
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.