We are searching for a Software Development Manager with passion for building large-scale database systems optimized for efficient query processing and easy to use. If you are motivated by working in fast-paced environment, have full ownership of your work, and build a team of excellent engineers – this role is for you!
Our cloud data warehouse Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. With Redshift Spectrum, our customers can easily query data from Amazon S3, thereby scaling their warehouse out to Exabytes and allowing them to integrate data in all kinds of file formats from their data lake into their analytics.
As a Software Development Manager at Amazon Redshift, you will:
· Take overall responsibility for growing and leading a database software development team responsible for rethinking the assumptions behind how traditional database services were built and thinking how to build database services best suited for the cloud.
· Lead the design, implementation, testing and deployment of these database services and prioritize the backlog.
· Mentor a team of talented and experienced software engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues, design tradeoffs, and feature and schedule prioritization.
· Shape a culture of innovation and serve your team of engineers so that they can leverage their full potential and grow.
· Work with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements, influence our technical and business strategy.
· You will be successful in this role, if you bring deep technical and software expertise, and have strong business acumen and judgment. You have the ability to define visionary, ground breaking products and the ability to hire and lead a team. Finally, you should have the desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
· Work on the latest technology, as we constantly build the latest research concepts into Redshift.
· Be part of something big, as you are working on a key pillar of AWSs extensive service portfolio and thousands of Amazon Redshift customers benefit from your contributions.
· Learn from the best, as you are working on challenging engineering tasks in a team of very experienced experts and managers that are close to support you.
· Be part of a great team, as we invest a lot to create an inclusive environment that allows you to perform at your best, while maintaining a fun atmosphere.
This position of the Software Development Manager for Amazon Redshift represents an unusual opportunity to shape the technology and future of a rapidly evolving industry and business.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 4+ years in engineering people management positions.
· 8+ years in software development
· Experience building teams and proven ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects.
· A leadership position in a team delivering database kernel, execution engine or distributed systems.
· Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner.
· Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering.
· Work experience delivering one or more version one products, ideally in a startup setting.
· Experience influencing engineering best practices in your organization.
· Experience delivering and operating large-scale distributed systems.
· Experience with database internals such as query optimization and execution.
· Experience with spatial database engines such as PostGIS.
· A passion for people management and mentoring.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult ourPrivacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.