Amazon Web Services (AWS) Professional Services is looking for a seasoned software development manager to lead a new team that builds production-ready applications for AWS’ enterprise customers. Customers increasingly trust Amazon to not only provide cloud services that allow them to deprecate their on-premises IT infrastructure but to also architect and implement their new, cloud-native software. Customers are keen to retire their old-guard business applications that have grown over decades and become unmaintainable. They are keen to leverage machine learning and artificial intelligence to get more value from their data and better interact with their customers and employees.
As a Customer Engineering team leader, you work closely with AWS’ Professional Services Consultants, AWS’ Technical Project Managers, and the customers’ stakeholders. You start with the customer and work backwards from their business needs (“Customer Obsession”). You draw on your great experience in a high-paced software development environment to help our customers to envision and pursue a bold direction that inspires results (“Think Big”). You hire exceptional talent into your team and grow your team’s skills through great coaching (“Hire and Develop the Best”). You work with your team to deliver customers’ business outcomes quickly because you understand that speed matters in business (“Bias for Action”). Expect project timelines of months, not years. You listen attentively, speak candidly, and treat others respectfully (“Earn Trust”). Despite the tough deadlines you drive your team to deliver high quality applications (“Insist on the Highest Standards”).
As a successful candidate, you are a visionary, deeply technical, detail-oriented leader with excellent people skills who can build and grow a team of outstanding software development engineers. You aspire the seemingly impossible for customers; and you are proud when your team delivers top quality on time.
Key responsibilities include:
· Translate customers’ complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans, required budgets, and ambitious but realistic schedules
· Manage your team to execute against project plans and delivery commitments
· Represent your team in regular customer calls/meetings to report on progress and update project plans if required
· Evolve your team’s software engineering skills and AWS Customer Engineering’s best practices
· Contribute to AWS Customer Engineering’s recruiting to grow your and others’ teams
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
· 5+ years of experience as a software developer
· 3+ years of experience managing people
· Object-oriented design and coding skills (Java and/or C/C++)
· Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
· Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
· Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems
· Experience building highly scalable web applications
· Passion for people management and mentorship
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to break down complex concepts into easily understood frameworks and models
· Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical stakeholders
· Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others, and the ability to establish and sell the business and technical vision for a complicated problem area