Assignment period:09/01/2019 - 02/28/2023
Field:Procurement and Contract Management
Type of employment:part-time
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state owned organisation. We work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ International Services (InS) is an integral division of GIZ. We offer the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for the EU-funded project: „State Building Contract Complementary Support” in Sierra Leone.
The general objective of the overall SBC III is to promote sustainable and inclusive growth and support the consolidation of peace-building and the state-building processes in Sierra Leone. The specific objective of the SBC III project is improved resilience to face external shocks and in reaching the New Deal Peace-building and State-building Goal (PSG) of ‘improved management of revenue and increased capacity for accountable and fair service delivery’.
The purpose of this complementary measures contract is as follows:
- To strengthen institutional capacity in PFM, including revenue management, strategic planning and monitoring, budget formulation, execution and oversight, both at the central and at the selected sector levels and monitoring/evaluation of the development policy.
The team leader will be responsible for giving strategic oversight for the project, leading engagement with GoSL and the EU, ensuring delivery of service described in this TOR and coordinating the work of the team to reach the project outcomes. Additionally, she/he will be the leading advisor for the general organizational capacity building components of the project. The team leader will also contribute towards delivery of specific project outputs, in line with their areas of expertise.
Qualification and Skills
- A degree in Economics, Accounting, Finance, Development studies or relevant discipline, or equivalent experience. Postgraduate qualification preferred.
- Ability to understand the political environment and build strong relationships with Government to achieve results.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong team leadership skills, including ability to create, motivate and manage a strong team, drive the strategic vision of the project, identify opportunities for impact and link up members of the team on joint tasks as appropriate.
General professional experience
A minimum of 12 years of professional experience in public finance management reforms in developing countries;Specific professional experience- The expert must have had at least 5 years and preferably 10 years of experience within a ministry or public service/organization either as a public official/employee or external advisor/consultant in the context of Public Finance Management systems and reform processes such as:
- Strategic reporting on implementation and monitoring & evaluation of development strategies/plans;
- Development, revision and/or implementation of results monitoring frameworks;
- PFM reform strategies and reporting frameworks;
- Budget planning and formulation at Ministry of Finance or Sector Ministry level;
- Government accounting and reporting, including experience with the International Public Sector Accounting Standards;
- Budget planning and execution, including at the sector level (education and agriculture)
- Accounting and financial reporting
- Public procurement reform
- Payroll cleaning and man power planning
- Proven experience in the context of European Union budget support procedures.
- Proven mentoring and advisory skills and an ability to ensure transfer of knowledge and skills in a PFM related context.
- Experience working on PFM reform in developing countries, preferably in Sierra Leone or West Africa.
- Experience as team leader on a project of similar size and scope, preferably in a similar context. Experience in motivating and managing a team and driving a strong vision of work objectives throughout the life of the project.
- Demonstrated experience working in challenging, low capacity environments.
- All experts must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
The operational base for the project will be Freetown where the vast majority of the work will occur. Short-term trips to various districts outside Freetown may be required for capacity building and monitoring. No travel outside of Sierra Leone is anticipated.
Start date & period of implementation
The intended start date is September 2019 (to be confirmed following the procurement procedure) and the period of implementation of the contract will be 42 months (550 days) from this date.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3191