The Applications Engineer - Electron Microscopy position is a highly skilled and highly technical applications specialist position which relies heavily on consultative skills and the use of relevant application and technical knowledge to meet customer requirements. Success requires strong customer support, technical and application related needs assessment and training skills for Electron Microscopes and other high-end microscopy products. Knowledge and experience in electron microscopy and correlative microscopy required. Excellent time management skills, communication skills and ability to work in a team as leader or team member.
This is a new position for the metrology services department and as such this position will be responsible for maintaining all aspects of the microscopy lab in Wixom including participation in the development of how to apply this technology to our business model. This person will also support the product sales team with product demonstrations and customer support as required.
- Development of metrology services product offering – Determine how to apply this technology to the current metrology services business model.
- Metrology Services Project Execution – Contribute in the quoting and scope of work creation of metrology services projects including execution of those projects with complete customer satisfaction.
- Technical follow up assistance including configuration guidance and competitive reasoning - The Applications Engineer must be able to respond and answer any technical questions for account managers, and customers including guidance on the most appropriate configuration for the customers’ needs.
- Creating Interest - This position may involve support, preparation, and participation in events, seminars and workshops to generate interest, disseminate application knowledge and advocate the merits of the ZEISS Electron Microscope portfolio as well as other high-end microscopes to the industrial community.
- Technical and Application consultation together with the Account Manager – In order to provide the best sales and customer support, the Applications Engineer must be highly competent and interact as a team player providing strong support to the Account Manager, and other Specialists. The Applications Engineer must also provide any technical and application support required to achieve a successful outcome for pre-sales, demonstration or post-sales support and training objectives.
- Application and technical third level support – The Applications Engineer will support third level support for pre and post sales activities upon request.
- Support achievement of Product Marketing, Product Support, Sales and Service goals – The Applications Engineer may occasionally need to provide key competitive information, technical input and share knowledge, learning’s and feedback regarding various aspects of marketing, support and service with the electron and light microscope product lines.
- Up to 10% travel required. Home base will be the Wixom, MI office but training will also occasionally include customers anywhere within the US.
- Base Salary plus Variable with strong emphasis on key performance and customer satisfaction indicators
- Masters degree or higher in materials science or engineering preferred from an accredited college or university
- Working knowledge of high-end microscopy, including electron, light and confocal microscopy.
- Knowledge and experience in materials science is required.
- Knowledge of sample preparation for electron microscopy is required.
- Strong presentation skills required with previous teaching/training experience.
- Working knowledge of or prior work experience overseeing a shared instrumentation (Core) lab or facility preferred.
- Good knowledge of MS Office.
- Positive “can do” attitude coupled with a willingness to continuously acquire product and application knowledge independently
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and overseas, up to 10%
- In addition to sales function, may asked to work in assigned teams on defined projects as directed by management
- Lifting of heavy equipment crate required; crate weight ~ 75 lbs
- Must have valid employment authorization to work in the United States and meet requirements for working on ITAR & EAR controlled projects
Join us today. Inspire people tomorrow.
Diversity is a part of ZEISS. We look forward to receiving your application regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, philosophy of life, disability, age, sexual orientation or identity.
Apply now! It takes less than 10 minutes.