The Alexa Data Services (ADS) organization is engaged in the data processing to support the voice recognition for Alexa, the cloud-based service that powers devices like Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, and more. The Alexa service is always getting smarter, both for features, and for natural language understanding and accuracy. Because Alexa’s brains are in the AWS cloud, she continually learns and adds more functionality, every hour, every day.
Come build the future of the voice-recognition for Alexa with us.
We are seeking a German Data Linguist to join our Alexa data team. This role focuses on speech and language data, primarily in the areas of phonemic transcription, text annotation, and general language expansion deliverables. This will be on a Fixed Term Contract.
Driven by your passion for data, you show proactive behavior in solving issues with efficiency and accuracy. Your organization skills help you prioritize your projects in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to concentrate and your high attention to details help you deliver high-quality work.
In this role, you’re comfortable with, and understand, the changes to the conventions deployed in response to internal customers’ requests. You demonstrate ability to adjust your workflows accordingly and you prioritize strict compliance with regulatory requirements.
In this role, you will:
· Build a thorough understanding of labeling conventions and provide support to global sites
· Localize established guidelines from English into German
· Provide phonemic transcriptions and annotate linguistic data in German
· Deliver high quality data output within deadlines
· Work autonomously with minimum direction
· Handle unique data analysis requests from a wide range of internal customers
· Contribute to process improvements to reduce handling time and improve data output
· Dive deep into issues and implement solutions independently
· Provide quality expertise to other team members and coaching improvements
· BA or BS degree in Linguistics/Computational Linguistics/Phonetics, or equivalent practical experience in data mark-up
· Native level fluency in German
· Business level fluency in English
· Experience transcribing written and spoken language phonemically
· Extensive knowledge in IPA or X-SAMPA
· Capable of working in strict compliance with internal guidelines
· Working knowledge of computer programs: Microsoft Office/Excel, JIRA, Oracle
· Masters degree in Linguistics/Computational Linguistics/Phonetics, or equivalent practical experience in data mark-up
· Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts and learn in-house user-interface tools
· Experience with command line tools