Vereinigte Staaten, Kalifornien, South San Francisco
Schweiz, Basel-Stadt, Basel
As an Senior Principal Data Scientist within our Personalized HealthCare function you will work with meaningful data to generate impactful evidence and insights on our molecules/medicines and patients, that support R&D, advance scientific and medical knowledge, and enable personalized patient care and access. As an Expert Data Scientist within the RWD Platform Applications Development group, you will use your skills as an experienced drug developer in the development and validation of the PHC platform applications and related tools for R&D applications, regulatory acceptance and clinical care, across therapeutic areas. The data will be varied in type -- patient-level clinical data, supplemented with deep patient data like omics (e.g. genomics, proteomic), imaging, digital health, etc. Source data will be diverse -- real-world data, including patient registries, electronic medical records, claims, biobanks, and clinical trials. You will also contribute to functional, cross-functional, enterprise-wide or external initiatives that shape our business and healthcare environments.
You will need excellent strategic, leadership, collaboration and communication skills, as well as an entrepreneurial mindset, to work with and through others, to transform the way we use data and analytics to develop and deliver medicines for our patients and to achieve the business objectives. The position requires extensive cross functional collaborations working with a diverse team of clinical subject matter experts, data scientists, statisticians, and business leads to inform the research and development of our molecules, and support healthcare decisions by patients, physicians, health authorities, payers, and policy-makers.
- IDENTIFY EVIDENCE NEEDS & RECOMMEND DATA SOLUTIONS: Ask the right scientific questions, understand the evidence needs for research and development, regulatory and market access, and ideate and make recommendations on fit-for-purpose data and analytics solutions.
- DEVELOP DATA STRATEGY & GAIN ACCESS TO DATA: Develop strategic plans to access fit-for-purpose data sources to support evidence generation, and gain access to data through collaboration or data generation.
- DIVE INTO DATA: Develop a comprehensive and deep understanding of the data we work with and foster learning with colleagues using analytical tools and applications to broaden data accessibility and advance our proficiency/efficiency in understanding and using the data appropriately.
- BE AN EXPERT IN APPLYING METHODS: Stay current with and adopt emergent analytical methodologies, tools and applications to ensure fit-for-purpose and impactful approaches.
- PRODUCE HIGH QUALITY ANALYSES: Apply rigor in study design and analytical methods; plan for data processing; design a fit-for-purpose analysis plan, assess effective ways of presenting and delivering the results to maximize impact and interpretability; implement and/or oversee the study, including its reporting; ensure compliance with applicable pharma industry regulations and standards.
- INTERPRET AND SHARE RESULTS: Communicate findings to internal stakeholders, regulatory, health technology assessment (HTA) bodies and scientific communities; publish results; participate in external meetings and forums to present your insights (e.g. congress/conference).
- COLLABORATE & SHAPE: Collaborate and contribute to functional, cross-functional, enterprise-wide or external data science communities, networks, collaborative groups, initiatives on knowledge-sharing, methodologies, innovations, technology, IT infrastructure, policy-shaping, processes, etc. to enable broader and more effective use of data and analytics to advance science.
Who You Are
- PhD in a quantitative data science discipline (e.g., statistics/biostatistics, epidemiology, bioinformatics, health economics, computational biology, computer science, mathematics, outcomes research, public health, biology, medicine, psychology) with a minimum of 6+ years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated track record of developing and execution of data science research projects, patient-level data analyses (e.g., real world data, surveys, clinical trials, registries, claims, genomic or imaging data) with publications and presentations
- Demonstrated experience with managing project scope and driving delivery in an evolving environment requiring proactivity and effective problem-solving and prioritization when faced with challenges
- Demonstrated strong collaboration skills and excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset and self-direction, ability to teach others and willingness to learn new techniques
- Deep subject matter expertise with proven ability to transfer this expertise across the business; proven track record of setting new standards, advancing the field of expertise (internally and externally) and engaging & influencing executive leaders internally and externally (e.g. in academic setting).
- Experience in conducting observational research
- Expertise in clinical trials or in development of diagnostics or medical devices
- Proficiency in English, both written and verbal
- Preferred: Experience in regulatory submissions of molecules, diagnostics or medical devices
- Availability to travel up to 10% domestically and internationally
- Availability to work non-standard business hours regularly due to the global nature of role