Are you excited about building Robotics AI technology that works seamlessly with and around people? The Robotics AI team at Amazon is building high-performance, real-time robotic systems that can perceive, learn and act intelligently alongside humans, at Amazon scale.
To this end, we are seeking a Software Development Manager who is interested in leading a team of Engineers to bring Computer Vision innovations to Fulfillment Centers. In addition to holistically designing, building, and delivering end-to-end Computer Vision systems, our team is responsible for the core infrastructure and tools that serve as the backbone of our applications, enabling roboticists, machine learning scientists, and software engineers to collaborate and deploy systems in the lab and in the field. Our work spans real-time software, machine learning engineering, big data, scalable infrastructure software, and more.
As a software development manager, you will build and mentor an exceptional, diverse team of engineers, and work with our partner engineering and science teams in generating and executing organization-wide technical roadmaps and solutions. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. The ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
The right candidate will possess a strong software management background and ideally a well-rounded technical background in software and either automation, machine learning systems or cloud infrastructure. We are looking for broad, curious candidates who can dive deep into technical problems, and have experience in developing robust products and deploying them at scale.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
· 5+ years of software development experience, with background in design patterns, data structures, and test-driven development
· 4+ years of experience in building and leading strong engineering teams, including hiring and growing SDEs
· 5+ years of experience in at least one of automation engineering, computer vision, scalable infrastructure software or software as a service, product development and operations
· Understanding of at least one of automation, robotics or machine learning techniques, toolchains, and development/deployment best practices
· Proficiency with professional software engineering practices & standard practices for the full software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable and highly available systems
· Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
· Maintaining high level of communications with cross-functional team, and partners
· Master’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
· Experience building for large-scale operations involving cloud and physical deployments
· Familiarity with interdisciplinary developments that involve hardware, software, and algorithm co-design
· Demonstrated experience incubating and productionizing new technology, working closely with research scientists and technical teams from idea generation through implementation.
· Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· System-level integration experience.
· Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, from front-end user interfaces to back-end systems
· Experience and knowledge in building software for large scale industrial systems
· Experience with formal Integration, Validation and Verification (IV&V) techniques