The Staff Mechanical Design Engineer works in a medical device research and development environment assisting, and in some cases leading, the mechanical development of design approaches and performing detailed mechanical design of subsystems of new or improved products.
• Work on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Assist in the completion of feasibility studies to determine preferred design solutions. Implement design approaches and correct design problems.
• Investigate pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture; availability of materials, tooling and equipment; interchangeability, replace ability and serviceability. Perform tolerance analysis of assemblies and take corrective action as required.
• Perform detailed design of mechanisms, packaging, control panels, chassis and frames. Make layouts of assemblies.
• Direct the efforts of junior level drafters. Check completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness and conformity to standards, procedures and specifications. Check the accuracy of calculations and dimensions.
• Perform tests on designs and assemble and direct the assembly of prototypes.
• Create, and direct the creation and release to manufacturing, of engineering documentation.
• Assist manufacturing Engineering during the pilot run and initial production run of new products to ensure the best possible transition from Engineering to Production.
• Initiate vendor contacts and assist engineers in vendor evaluation and selection for tooling, fabricated parts and purchases parts.
• Assist in the solution of design problems during the pilot and initial production runs.
Note: Essential functions may not be limited to the tasks and responsibilities listed within this section. Ordering of essential functions does not necessarily reflect importance of item.
• Proficient in 3-D CAD design.
• Minimum of eight (8) years experience.
• Good knowledge of mechanical principles, including stress and thermal analysis and will be experienced in creating 3-D parts and assembly layouts.
• Working knowledge of multi-axis machining, plastic injection molding, structural-foam molding, die-casting, sheet metal and tool design is preferred.
Join us today. Inspire people tomorrow.
Diversity is a part of ZEISS. We look forward to receiving your application regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, philosophy of life, disability, age, sexual orientation or identity.
Apply now! It takes less than 10 minutes.