Assignment period:12/01/2020 - 11/30/2023
Type of employment:full-time
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state owned organisation. We work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ International Services (InS) is an integral division of GIZ. We offer the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services.
GIZ International Services is preparing an offer for the EU funded tender: “Technical and Logistical Assistance for the Organisation of the Policy Forum on Development (2021-2023)” in Brussels.
The purpose of this service contract is to assist the European Commission in facilitating spaces for dialogue (in-person and virtual) and consultations at global and regional level with civil society networks, associations of local authorities and EU institutions and Member States, mainly through the Policy Forum on Development (PFD),ad hoc consultations; and to provide regular updates on policy issues raised by civil society and associations of local authorities and contribute to the drafting of background papers, upon demand.
More specifically, the main objectives of the project will be:
1.To assist the European Commission in its dialogue with civil society networks and associations of local authorities, mainly through the preparation, facilitation and reporting of the PFD sessions in 2021-2023, at global and regional level (in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, the European Neighbourhood and Europe), and in other thematic and ad-hoc policy exchanges and consultations mainly with members of civil society and local authorities. This includes the improvement, maintenance and animation of the PFD’s web presence as a space for on-going dialogue and consultation.
2.To assist the European Commission with the logistical organisation of up to 6international events per year in 2021-2023.
3.To assist the European Commission with the monitoring of policy positions of civil society organisations and associations of local authorities and contribute to the drafting of short background papers, and updates upon demand.
The Team Leader will provide leadership and management while reporting and advising under the Contractor's internal quality assurance system, in order to ensure high-quality project results. S/he will assure overall consistency and continuity during project delivery, as well as quality control of deliverables and consulting inputs guaranteeing objectivity, commitment to deadlines and achievement of project objectives.
Qualifications and skills
- Master's degree in a field relevant to politics/international relations/ development cooperation/EU policies and programmes;
- Excellent knowledge of the roles and added value of Civil Society Organisations (CSO) and Local Authorities (LAs) in development cooperation;
- Excellent knowledge of aid effectiveness agenda and other relevant international debates;
- Excellent knowledge of EU policies and programmes;
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills (sound experience in the production of written material and reports);
- Fluency in English, French and/or Spanish, both spoken and written
- Computer literacy, able to produce power high quality point presentations
General professional experience
- 10 years of professional experience in development cooperation, out of which at least 3 years of field experience in partner countries of the EU;
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a team leader (solid team management skills).
Specific professional experience
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience on topics related to:
- (i) roles and added value of various categories of CSOs and LAs in development cooperation,
- (ii) division of labour and complementarity between stakeholders (State & Non-State actors) and EC programmes (geographic & thematic),
- (iii) aid effectiveness agenda and enabling environment for civil society at country level and
- (iv) EC delivery mechanisms (concerning CSO-LA);
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in the fields of
- (i) policy analysis
- (ii) policy advocacy
- (iii) networking and representation and
- (iv) capacity building of CSOs and LAs networks.
The intended starting date is December 2020 and the project duration is 36 months.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-2361