Assignment period:01/01/2021 - 12/31/2023
Type of employment:full-time
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is preparing to bid for the EU funded project “Support to Sustainable Rural Livelihoods” in Fiji.
The overall objective of this project is to contribute to poverty eradication and to enhancing rural livelihoods, environmental sustainability and food and nutrition security for all Fijians. Specific objectives are (i) effective transition to a sustainable and more diversified agriculture sector and (ii) Development of market-driven and environment-friendly agriculture. This will be achieved through the development, implementation and monitoring of a relevant and credible sector policy for the modernisation of agriculture that ensures the benefits of growth be shared at both national and local levels by means of improving the technical inputs and capacities required by the Government of Fiji. The technical assistance will operate at the national and local level and will provide support to the main stakeholders in identifying and addressing the needs/gaps in capacities, policy, fiscal, legislative or regulatory frameworks needed to move towards a more sustainable, resilient and productive agriculture.
The Team Leader will be responsible for the overall project implementation and reporting, including the coordination and supervision of the other KEs and NKEs, and financial management tasks in a timely and professional manner. She/he will be expected to provide, in a coordinated manner, leadership to the Project Team, taking responsibility for the coordinated and efficient implementation of the various components of the project. Furthermore, she/he shall ensure coordination with the Contracting Authority and other stakeholders of the project. The Team Leader will work closely with target groups, under the authority of the EU Delegation. She/he will be the primary point of contact for the EU Delegation, Government officials and the Project Steering Committee.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master degree in the field of Environmental or Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Development, Public Policy and Administration, Economics, Finance, Public Administration or a related subject;
- Post-graduate studies and/or certifications in Public Finance Management or related disciplines as well as memberships in relevant professional bodies or associations;
- Excellent project management, supervisory/mentoring and leadership skills;
- Strong ability to act and lead in a complex political environment with multiple stakeholders involved and to build strong relationships to achieve results.
- Fluency in English, speaking and in writing;
General professional experience:
- At least 10 years’ professional experience Public Financial Management reforms, policy implementation, accounting and information systems for controlling and reporting project activities, financial forecasts;
- At least 7 years' experience in the implementation and management of cooperation programmes/projects, in support to public sector/national authorities and government ministries in developing countries;
- At least 5 years’ experience as a Team Leader in development projects related to development effectiveness, Public Financial Management and Capacity Building;
- A minimum of 5 years' experience working in capacity building project management (technical assistance and training) including planning, budgeting and progress monitoring;
- Experience in working with EU-funded projects desirable;
- Professional experience in Fiji/Pacific and/or Asia is a strong asset;
Specific professional experience:
- Strong background in public policy analysis and design, planning & budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, preferably in the agriculture sector;
- At least 5 years' experience in developing, implementing, coordinating programmes of capacity/institution building for Government counterparts, preferably in the agriculture sector;
- Experience in value chain development and quality assurance for export promotion is desired.
- Experience on cross-cutting issues such as civil society as well as gender and climate change issues and their impact on rural livelihood development, experience in the identification, design and/or implementation of EU budget support operations using sector reform contracts is a strong asset.
Please note that the European Union has not yet the detailed Terms of Reference for this project. Therefore, location, start date and duration of the projects as well as tasks of and requirements for the position may be subject to change.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam. GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-4708