Are you a linguist with technical aptitude? Or are you an engineer with a passion for (human) languages and linguistics? Come work on Alexa! We are building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. Our goal is to delight our customers by adding new features to Alexa and by improving the accuracy of our existing speech recognition and natural language processing systems.
We are seeking a Computational Linguist/Language Engineer with experience in the field of computational linguistics or natural language processing; alternatively, machine learning or software development. In this role, you will be a key member in new feature development and identify technical and linguistic solutions directly affecting the customer experience.
Key job responsibilities
- Design the natural language processing components of new Alexa experiences and features - on the technical and linguistic side!
- Identify and solve production issues that are impacting the Alexa customer experience
- Collaborate with other Language Engineers, Scientists and Data Linguists in creating optimal solutions to elevate the customer experience
- Use, design and create modeling tools to bootstrap and test new functionalities
- Analyze large or noisy language data sets and accurately describe patterns to derive conclusions and inform language modeling decisions
- Automate the team's work on difficult language data problems through scripts or programs (e.g. Python, Perl), regular expressions, Excel formulas, etc.
- Apply statistical NLP methods in practical application
About the team
Alexa AI NU OMEGA (Operations and Modeling science for non-English and Global domain Acceleration) owns fast language expansion and all aspects of NU modeling and science operations for International and Global Domain representing millions of active users per month. We are committed to driving and releasing improvements for NU performance while improving model build and release efficiency.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a relevant field
- 2+ years experience in one of these fields: NLP, ML, computational linguistics, language data processing, semantics or syntax
- Experience in Python or another scripting language
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Willingness to support several projects at one time and to accept reprioritization as necessary
- Experience with statistical language modeling
- Experience with language artifact design and creation
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.