Amazon is at a pivotal moment in its history, striving more each day to be Earth's Best Employer. As such, we're looking for a high-judgement communications professional to help develop strategy, messaging development, and issues management that serve to improve transparency and response to the issues that matter most to our Operations workforce. This person will be a leader in creating well-written, impactful internal communication for fast-moving and highly visible announcements around policy changes, compensation, safety, and other needs that transcend country borders or Amazon teams across Europe. The ideal candidate will be used to fast-paced work, have a strong attention to detail, and know how to navigate often ambiguous waters in order to get the job done. This person will collaborate closely with various HR/PXT teams, Operations, Finance, Legal, and PR, with the expectation they will share lessons learned with global colleagues for quick implementation at local levels.
Ideal candidates will have a solid understanding of how to mitigate external and internal risk, be able to look around corners, and be one of the loudest advocates for Amazon’s Operations employees. They will take an employee-first mentality and work to ensure that information that impacts core elements of their employment at Amazon is clear, concise, and connects with larger themes around Amazon’s hiring, retention, and development practices. This person will sometimes have to participate in issues management outside of their topic area and will always be expected to be a team-player.
Key job responsibilities
- Lead communications strategy and messaging development for fast-moving employer practices announcements and policy changes. This entails working with Amazon HR/PXT and other organizations to align on goals, messaging, reactive responses, and ongoing issues management.
- Support Amazon’s newest Leadership Principle “Strive to Be Earth’s Best Employer” – this entails being an advocate for the associate experience, working from the Operations employee’s view backwards, and building communications that are clear, concise, and detail-oriented.
- Work closely with team members who lead proactive communications to ensure all comms ladder to larger themes around employer practices and experiences.
- Analyze available data to ensure ongoing communications are effective, impactful, and appreciated by field employees.
- Share materials and templates with global partners for fast adoption in other regions and share lessons learned with others to allow for continuous improvement.
- Manage and support issues and crisis communications outside of topic area as a member of the comms team, when necessary.
A day in the life
In this role, the manager will coordinate regularly with European-based support teams, such as Finance and Legal to ensure messaging and strategy is aligned on topics such as compensation and benefits. They will work closely with US-based colleagues to localize global messaging for a European audience on fast-moving issues and announcements. And, they will think creatively on how to proactively support long-lead narratives that align to our Leadership Principles and functional employer practices.
About the team
The European Ops Internal Comms team has members located across the continent (and isles). Some members were previously Amazon associates who are knowledgeable of what it's like to work in our centres, some are tenured Amazonians with media relations experience, and some are brand new to Amazon, all coming from a variety of backgrounds. The team is tight-knit, passionate, enjoys traveling to meet each other (COVID-permitting) to benchmark and share learnings, and is excited about the quickly growing investments in Europe.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or equivalent) in a related field
- Based in, or willing to relocate to Munich, Luxembourg, or London
- Previous public relations/communications experience
- Internal communications experience within a multi-national company
- Internal communications experience with logistics, operations, or retail
- Experience in crisis communications and/or labor relations
- Experience developing content for a diverse, remote and mobile workforce as well as using metrics to measure communication effectiveness, reach and engagement
- Possess a strategic approach to problems solving; able to anticipate potential reputation issues
- Demonstrates the ability to think and communicate clearly, formulate a clear point of view on complicated issues, and create a concise and well-written narrative;
- A deep appreciation for simple solutions to complex problems
- Team-player who is willing to roll up one’s sleeves and get work done, even when at times it’s outside the scope of the job and who can lead others to consensus across geographies and earns trusts with key stakeholders
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and able to form a cohesive and effective outcome from potentially incongruous facts and individual perspectives
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.