We are the People eXperience Foundation (PXF) organization, responsible for building the web applications and distributed web services that supports over 1 million Amazon employees every day by teaching and reinforcing our unique Day 1 culture. We do this through technology solutions powered by data, machine learning and smart automation, that help Amazonians to take actions, guide them through processes, and enable them to self-serve, so that they spend less time in product and more time delivering for customers. We provide the one-stop experience that Amazonians use daily to manage their employment, grow their career, manage their teams and remain connected to life at Amazon. At PXF we serve Amazonians through a human-centered design approach to technology innovations, with the goal of supporting Amazon’s mission to be become Earth’s best employer.
PXF is organized in three engineering teams: PXF Framework, PXF Data Services, and PXF Content Services. The PXF Framework team owns the customer experience by building consumer-grade web and mobile experiences, web services, and development frameworks that power highly secure, private, and available experiences for all our users. The PXF Data Services team owns the data lake technology and smart product innovations that serve our employees through intelligence powered by science and machine learning. The PXF Content Services team connects our tools and resources through a personalized search experience and content management technology that enables Amazonians to get to the right information at the right time. The engineering teams work in partnership with our dedicated Product Management and UX Design teams.
As a Development Manager you will own the development of Amazon Global Search technology stack, a foundational layer in our ability to deliver personalized connected experiences to all our employees worldwide. As the owner of our Global Search Technology stack you will connect employees through our culture and enable integration of product experiences and knowledge across all Amazonians.
As the ideal candidate you will be experienced in managing a multi-discipline team of software engineers, applied scientists and technical program managers. You will be responsible for building your team strategy and growing your organization. You will have a proven track record of shipping complex software solutions through an agile methodology. You will have the ability to dive deep into the understanding of problems in order to help your team make the right decisions for the product and the business. You will have a proven track record of managing through others and developing the career of your direct reports. You will be a strong communicator and will have proven abilities in managing through ambiguous situations and communicating to VP level. You will join the PXF leadership team reporting to their Director with peers managing other groups that deliver into our strategy.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Develop your leadership team into a highly functional cross discipline organization.
- Build a recruitment strategy and grow your organization.
- Define and drive your product development strategy.
- Architect and deliver Amazon's Global Search and CMS tech stack.
- Bachelor degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- 3+ years of managing managers experience.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Experience of having worked in at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or C++.
- Proven track record of shipping large complex scalable systems/applications in an agile environment.
- Experience with professional software engineering best practices such as Agile project management, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong leadership, project planning and execution skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels.
- Experience with large scale distributed systems.
- Experience of building solutions using AWS technologies.
- Experience in building Search Technology.